What do you do with tomatoes & cheese that need to be used? Why make Hot Browns, of course!
The recipe calls for 1/2 cup of butter, but I usually use 1/3 cup. It also calls for cheddar cheese. Tonight I needed to use American & it turned out just fine. I put in a little more than the 1/2 cup called for since American is much more mellow than cheddar. I used 9 slices of real American, not processed American.
8 thick slices bread
8 slices cooked bacon
1 pound thinly sliced turkey breast
- Toast bread.
- Top evenly with turkey & bacon.
- Pour desired amount of cheese sauce on each sandwich.
- Top with tomato slices.
- Broil 6 inches from heat until bubbly and lightly browned.
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
1/3 cup plain flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Melt butter in saucepan.
- Whisk in flour.
- Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil and cook, whisking constantly, until thickened.
- Stir in cheese until melted. Stir in salt and pepper.