Midnight Chocolate Cake is so moist! It is a deep, rich chocolate cake paired with a not too sweet buttercream that is sure to earn you rave reviews from family and friends.
If you’ve read some of my other posts, you know that I will substitute mayonnaise for eggs sometimes. I will admit to being a bit skeptical when I read the recipe for Midnight Chocolate Cake and saw that it uses mayo and eggs. For this recipe, though, the mayonnaise isn’t used in place of the eggs, it takes the place of butter or oil.
When baking with mayonnaise, it is imperative that you use a flavorless mayonnaise. Personally, I use a cheap generic brand. Using a flavorful mayonnaise brand such as Duke’s will give your cake a strange taste. Flavorful mayonnaise works great when baking something savory, such as my Nanny’s Quick Rolls. It just does not work well when baking something sweet.
Midnight Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 1 chocolate fudge cake mix
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease and flour two 9″ cake pans or spray them with Baker’s Joy.
- Combine all ingredients and mix well with an electric mixer.
- Divided equally between cake pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Cover with clean bread cloth. Cool completely.
Frost with favorite buttercream frosting.
[…] Midnight Chocolate Cake is another great recipe that uses a chocolate fudge cake mix as its base. […]