Autumn is in the air! Time to break out fall baking favorites like Caramel Apple Cheesecake with Gingersnap Crust! A dense, decadent cheesecake loaded with apples and cinnamon and swirled with caramel.
A few years back, I needed a Fall dessert for a ladies meeting. I stood staring into my pantry assessing what I had on hand that I could use when inspiration struck! Gingersnaps and caramel in the pantry. Apples and cream cheese in the refrigerator. Sounded like a festive, fall cheesecake was about to emerge.
At my meeting, Caramel Apple Cheesecake with Gingersnap Crust was a huge hit and everyone was asking for the recipe.
If gingersnap crust just isn’t your thing, do not despair! Simply switch graham crackers or even crispy oatmeal cookies for the gingersnaps.
If you are a gingersnap fan, but prefer them homemade, try this recipe from the nibble.com. Added bonus: The Nibble gives a brief history of the gingersnap.
Caramel Apple Cheesecake with Gingersnap Crust Recipe
- 2 cups ginger snap crumbs
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 24 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
- 3 small apples, peeled & chopped (I used Granny Smith.)
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- caramel ice cream topping
Preheat oven to 350°F.
To Make Crust:
Combine gingersnap crumbs & melted butter. Press the mixture into the bottom of a 9″ springform pan. Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes.
While the crust bakes, mix the filling.
To Make Filling:
- Combine cream cheese, sugar, & flour until well blended.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. I scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl after adding the second egg.
- Blend in vanilla & yogurt or sour cream.
- Fold in apples & cinnamon.
- Pour over crust & spread evenly.
- Drizzle with carmel sauce. I did not measure this. My recommendation is to use 1/4-1/3 cup. Use a knife to swirl.
- Place springform on a cookie sheet that has been lined with foil. Bake at 350°F for 1 hour, 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven & cool completely. Chill for several hours before serving.
- Garnish with additional caramel syrup, apple slices, & nuts, if desired.
If garnishing with raw apple slices is not appealing, place the slices in a pan and toss with a spoonful of sugar. Heat over medium heat until apples are soft a caramelized. Stir often and do not let the apples burn.
Still have apples screaming to be made into a dessert that will leave ’em asking for more? Try my Apple Dumpling recipe!
Originally published Sept 17, 2014.
[…] Caramel Apple Cheesecake with Gingersnap Crust […]
[…] Caramel Apple Cheesecake with Ginger Snap Crust […]