Just when I thought my cheesy yellow squash casserole recipe couldn’t be better, I ran out of club crackers and stumbled into a substitution that forever changed the way I make this cheesy, bacony dish of summertime goodness.
The recipe for cheesy yellow squash casserole that I made for about two decades calls for 1 1/4 cups of crushed club crackers, but I only had half that amount. What to do? What to do? Chicken crackers! I had half a box of chicken crackers in the pantry. Crushed them up and the result was revolutionary!
The ingredient list has the crackers divided as 3/4 cup of Ritz or club crackers and 1/2 cup of chicken crackers. If your tastebuds prefer or your pantry dictates, those amounts can be reversed or adjusted however you want or need.
Cheesy Squash Casserole pairs nicely with Country Style Steak!
- 2 lbs yellow squash
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled
- 3/4 cups Ritz or Club crackers, crushed
- 1/2 cup chicken crackers, crushed
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Slice squash thinly into a pot & cover with water. Bring water to a boil & cook for 10 minutes.
- While squash is cooking, preheat oven to 350°.
- When squash is cooked, drain well. Return to pot & mash. (I use a potato masher.)
- Combine remaining ingredients with squash. Pour into casserole dish lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes at 350°.
[…] Serve with mashed potatoes & veggies of choice. Pairs nicely with Cheesy Squash Casserole! […]
[…] Cheesy Yellow Squash Casserole […]