Chocolate covered cherries are my husband’s absolute favorite candy. In order for the fondant to turn to cream, the candy need to be made at least a week in advance. Unless I make them in secret and hide the Tupperware in which they are stored, the batch I make for my husband doesn’t turn to cream. With COVID, mu husband has been working from home since March., which means I can’t be a secretive elf this year.
Candy Making Tips
Chocolate covered cherries are not difficult to make, but they can be time consuming since I usually triple the recipe. As the old saying goes, “Many hands make light work.” Gather the family or your roommates, turn on some holiday music and have a fun time making candy!
If you need to make a triple batch, the cheapest way to buy the cherries is the 180 count jar from Sam’s Club. There have been years that the 180 mega jar at Sam’s has been cheaper than 60 count jar from the grocery store.
Save yourself time and frustration by buying the cherries with the stems on. Infinitely easier to dip in the chocolate!
For dipping, I use Wilton Light Cocoa Candy Melts.
Chocolate Covered Cherries Recipe
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup
- 60 maraschino cherries with stems
- 24 oz Dipping chocolate
- Place sugar, salt, butter, and corn syrup in a large bowl & knead until smooth. Hang in there! It will come together. Cover bowl & place in refrigerator. Chill for 2 hours.
- Drain cherries in a colander. Spread on paper towels. Lightly press another layer of paper towels on top of cherries to absorb as much of the liquid as possible.
- For each cherry, measure one teaspoon of fondant & wrap it around the cherry. Place on wax or parchment paper that has been placed on a baking sheet. Place the pan in the refrigerator. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- When the cherries are chilled, melt the chocolate according to the package instructions.
- Dip cherries one at a time into the melted chocolate. Dip & cover the candy quickly so that the fondant will not start to melt.
- Place dipped cherry on a fresh sheet of wax or parchment paper. When the chocolate has hardened, store in an airtight container for at least a week.
[…] Chocolate Covered Cherries […]